About the library
Lee-Whedon Memorial Library is a school district public library, permanently chartered by the State of New York in 1962. Original funding for the library was provided in 1928 by Mr. William U. Lee through a trust fund managed by his daughter, Mary Lee Whedon.
The library is chartered to serve the Medina Central School District, but in fact, serves all of Orleans County. As part of the NIOGA library system we share services with libraries in Niagara, Orleans, and Genesee Counties.
Approximately 85% of our funding comes from a library tax based on the school district boundaries. The remaining 15% comes from library fines, State and County aid, and various grants, donations, bequests, and memorials.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees consists of five members, each serving a 5 year term. The Board is responsible for ensuring the financial stability and security of the library. The Board owns the library building and land. Anyone wishing to contact the Board can send mail by post, addressed to them at the library’s address.
Current Trustees are:
- President: Isabella Mark – term ending 5/2023
- Vice President: Cynthia Kiebala – term ending 5/2020
- Stephen O’Dea – term ending 5/2021
- David Schwert – term ending 5/2022
- Belinda Conners – term ending 5/2024
The Board of Trustees meets on the second Monday of the month at 4:00 p.m. in the Quiet Room, except for the May meeting which begins at 6:00 p.m. prior to the Annual Meeting. If we are closed on the second Monday we will generally reschedule the meeting for the following Monday. Check our calendar for exact dates.
Lee-Whedon has five full-time staff members and six part-time staff, all of whom play an integral part in the growth and structure of our library.
- Catherine Cooper – Director, Librarian
- Kristine Mostyn – Assistant Director, Librarian
- Sharon Kleinhans – Accounting Clerk / IT
- Suzanne McAllister, “Mrs. Mack” – Children’s Services
- Lisa Pritchard – Technical Services
- Joy Cameron – Library Aide
- Samantha Covis – Library Aide
- Tricia Mumau – Library Aide
- Susy Schultz – Library Aide
- Gloria Smith – Library Aide
- Marna Grimes – Page
Long Range Plan