About the library

Lee-Whedon Memorial Library is a school district public library, permanently chartered by the State of New York in 1962. Original funding for the library was provided in 1928 by Mr. William U. Lee through a trust fund managed by his daughter, Mary Lee Whedon.

The library is chartered to serve the Medina Central School District, but in fact, serves all of Orleans County. As part of the NIOGA library system we share services with libraries in Niagara, Orleans, and Genesee Counties.

Approximately 85% of our funding comes from a library tax based on the school district boundaries. The remaining 15% comes from State and County aid, various grants, donations, bequests, and memorials.

Public libraries are legally considered limited public forums. This means that a public library is only obligated to permit the public to exercise rights consistent with the mission and purpose of the library. The library has the right to regulate all activities conducted on library property based on established policies.

Board of Trustees

The Board of Trustees consists of five members, each serving a 5 year term. The Board is responsible for ensuring the financial stability and security of the library. They own the library building and land. Anyone wishing to contact the Board can send mail by post, addressed to them at the library’s address.
Current Trustees are:

  • President: Cynthia Kiebala – term ending 6/2025
  • Vice President: Isabella Mark – term ending 6/2028
  • Kathleen Boice – term ending 6/2024
  • Stephen O’Dea – term ending 6/2026
  • David Schwert – term ending 6/2027

The Board of Trustees meets on the second Monday of the month at 4:00 p.m. in the Quiet Room, except for the May meeting which begins at 6:00 p.m. prior to the Annual Meeting at 7:00 pm. If the library is closed on the second Monday we will generally reschedule the meeting for the following Monday. Check our calendar for exact dates.

Library staff

Lee-Whedon has five full-time staff members and six part-time staff, all of whom play an integral part in the growth and structure of our library. Library staff are public employees and as such are subject to Civil Service. You may email us at info@medinalibrary.org with any comments, questions, or concerns. This email is monitored by the Director and Assistant Director.

  • Kristine Mostyn – Director, Librarian
  • Samantha C. – Assistant Director, Librarian
  • Sharon K. – Accounting Clerk / IT
  • Lisa P. – Technical Services
  • Patricia M. – Children’s Services
  • Kelsie S. – Library Aide
  • Joy C. – Library Aide
  • Jessica K. – Library Aide
  • Darlene S. – Library Aide
  • Amanda W. – Library Aide
  • Marna G. – Page

2024 Board Meetings
January 8
February 12
March 11
April 15 (third Monday)
May 13
June 10
July 8
August 12
September 9
October 21(third Monday)
November 18 (third Monday)
December 9

Upcoming Board Meeting Documents:

Board Agenda
Treasurer’s Report
Director’s Report

Library By-Laws

View our By-Laws.

Strategic Plan



GO-Art, $5,000

Dollar General, $1,375
ALA, $2,000

GO-Art, $5,000

GO-Art, $5,000
WNYLRC Access & Innovation Grant, $11,000
APEX Clean Energy, $600
Emergency Connectivity Fund, $4,897
WNYLRC Action Grant, $641

Dollar General, $1,200

ALA, $2,000

WNYLRC Access & Innovation Grant, $6,225

GO-Art, $2,500

Dollar General, $1,600
GO-Art, $2,800
WNYLRC Access & Innovation Grant, $3,750


Dollar General, $1,600


Humanities Council, $1,000


Humanities Council, $1,000
East Hill Foundation, $3,000
Target, $2,000


WNYLRC Access & Innovation Grant, $5,545
Humanities Council, $1,000
NY Newspapers Foundation, $3,500


NY Council for the Humanities, $600